Tuesday 17 November 2009

Leon - Ingredients and Recipes : Allegra McEvedy...my inspiration for Julie & Julia?

For me this book embodies the essence of comfort eating (without the hot chocolate brownie, with chocolate chips covered with hot chocolate fudge sauce and vanilla icecream, and chantilly cream for the truly sinful). It's like a crisp Autumn day with soup from a flask and hot sausages after setting the bonfire alight...and maybe a refreshing cider on the side. I could almost dedicate this blog to recreating each of the McEvedy's recipes, just as in julie and julia when Julie Powell (Amy Adams) blogged her way through Julia Child's (Meryl Streep) 'Mastering the Art of French Cooking'. Except not being a fan of all that cream and butter...I think I'd have way more fun. The imagery, the family connections, the personal recipes gives me that warm fuzzing feeling of happy childhood memories in times gone by. One of my favourite, both at the restaurant and homemade, is Sweet Potato Falafel. It's given me inspiration to experiment with different vegetable flavoured falafel...watch this space. The Leon Original Superfood Salad was a roaring success at our Summer BBQ - no soggy salad leftovers with this one. However, my all time culinary love at Leon is the the Leon Gobi...the perfect balance of spices and sweetness. Apparently, it's all down to the ground almond...who knew!? I recently experimented with Susi's Pumpkin Pie for our annual University Thanksgiving supper and it went down confusingly well. I'm not always a fan, but when teamed with my Nutmeg Icecream...sweet veggie pie wasn't the conundrum it usually is for me.

For the all encompassing Leon dining experience follow the directions to: http://www.leonrestaurants.co.uk/ ....or even order a takeaway!

No comments: